BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The real First Post

I should have started this ages ago. This blog will be about my travels with my son, Cyclone. Not a geographical trip, just the story of how it is.

Ok, so I have written 2 pages in about 20 minutes so I suppose we should consider this blog a debrief too.

It’s been a hard slog with my boy. Right now he is in the middle of a long assessment for a possible Aspergers Disorder diagnosis. He is nearly 6 years old. I haven’t done this before now because it’s been so hard to work out if there is anything actually wrong. Sometimes the tantrums and meltdowns and yelling and stress are gone and you forget there was a problem. Then you get so used to everything, you only notice when you see your friends children and they don’t make weird noises, throw themselves around from the moment they wake up or scream death threats when it’s time to go home.

As I type I can hear him screaming a full volume and threatening to smash the Wii because he can’t get the disk in.

Cyclone has started school this year but he only goes half days because he just can’t handle all the input. He can’t handle changing activities, he only wants to build things all day. I’m noticing patterns of behavior and I can see why I’ve been so confused about it all. He can handle change (?). It takes a long time but with lots of encouragement he gets there. Then I take a deep breath, smile and think –“well done son, you overcame this battle” and believe there is nothing really wrong. He just takes a while to adjust, that’s all. Then the shit totally hits the fan and his behavior gets worse in a different area.

I kinda feel like those kids you see at the water fountains that come out of the ground. They try to step on all the holes so the water won’t come out. That’s me – but it’s series of volcanos I’m trying to keep a lid on.

free hit counter
free hit counter

0 comments: