BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 14, 2010

Faster. Louder. Further. More-er

He is just a typical child - amplified.

Normal frustrations when things don't work, just LOUDER and FASTER. If it doesn't work in an instant screaming ensues. I'm an impatient person and I understand him to a point - but PHEW!

People think he is spoilt, the in-laws think he needs a good hard smack and now I'm getting frustrated. Can't they SEE? Just because he is little doesn't mean what he is trying to tell you isn't important. He can tell you are not listening to him if you just nod and smile assuming he is babbling about nothing or trying to show you a new toy. If you listened you would hear him telling you HOW the toy works, not that it lights up and whirrs, but how this is happening.

He asks me a question - and before I have a chance to draw breath to answer he is on the floor screaming because I haven't answered fast enough. Faster. Louder.

He loves Thomas the Tank Engine soooo much. More. More-er.

He HATES Sesame Street. When the opening credits come on he screeches "get it off get it off I HATE it!" I'm always dashing for the remote to avoid the morning head split. Sometimes sadly I'm in the toilet at the wrong time.

He LOVES The Simpsons, I'm not sure if it's PC for kids to watch it, but it's practically an institution in this house and it's a cartoon for fucks sake.
Pretty soon Cyclone goes NUTS at the opening credits for this too. The difference is we all MUST WATCH THE START. Everyone in the house has to be in attendance for this nightly event.

We just do it. Yeah it's a hassle sometimes but it's "just a Cyclone thing". He's our funny little boy.

Cyclones dad (Scorpio) doesn't like taking him out to the shops anymore. Cyclone screams when he doesn't get his way, won't leave the toy section and runs amok in the supermarket.

I don't have that problem. I've noticed that Cyclone is better when he knows what's going to happen. Before we go out I say - "we are going to the bank, then the fruit shop, then to the bakery". He is fine with that. I tell him we are leaving the toy shop in 2 minutes and I walk away when it's time to go. I don't make a big deal, I don't negotiate and although he might whine a little, he follows me out.

When Scorpio takes him there are tanties in the aisles, screaming, swearing and Scorpio gets embarrassed, feels the pressure of all eyes on him. He does the right thing, he tries to explain it's time to go. He gets down to Cyclones level (physically) but Cyclone always takes it to a new level. The pressure of others tut tutting gets to him and he ends up throwing Cyclone over his shoulder and walking out. No one is happy.

I blame Scorpio for not being firmer. Funnily enough he thinks I give in to Cyclone because I listen, and I feel I understand him.

6 comments:

Lulu said...

just checking comments are available. Astrid lemme know if you can see this xoxox

Anonymous said...

Yep working now. For some reason before the comment box would not pop up, even though it would on other blogs for me.

Being Me said...

Hey there, I'm v new to your blog (followed from FYBF linky). It is stunning :)

So interesting about your Cyclone boy - whilst we don't have a child on the spectrum, I tend to parent her along the lines you have indicated here (advising ahead of time where we're going, etc., and walking out when it's time and so forth). And my partner does it differently. And the results we get, individually, from her are similar to what you and your husband get from your son.

Interesting. I look forward to reading more. Thanks!

Liz said...

It's definately the done thing to watch the start of the simpsons. I used to get so upset if I missed 'the couch'! It was always exciting waiting to see what would happen :)

Monster doesn't go well when we're out. He is improving though, walking along the street he is really good, but once we get into a shop he just takes off and screams at me if I don't go that way.
He gets so excited about all the wondrous things to look at :)

Alicia D said...

im a first timer to your blog. my oldest of 4 daughters, she's 15 now, has Autism... very "low functioning" and severe cognitive impairments as well. So i can definately related to a lot of what you write. very cool blog :)

Unknown said...

Wow Lulu. This is my first time on your 'other' blog. I likes.

"Giving in?" I actually get that off the Man, when dealing with Chop's prospective toddler tantrums-avoidance is better than a hard arse cure. It's not giving in, it's its appreciating them as little people. And when everyone's happy and respected, what does it matter? Everybody wins.