BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Trial at the new school.

I took Cyclone to the new school for a 'trial run'. Well actually, it was just to give him a look around and for them to observe him a little.

It went ok, but he was determined he wasn't going to like it. There were only 6 kids in the class. Cyclone doesn't like walking into a room full of people. I didn't much either when I was little - of course he doesn't like it more-er.

He liked the room and the play equipment, he sat at the back for the story and called out a few silly things here and there but he shooshed when I told him to. He joined in well later.

Then he decided he needed to bolt. He wasn't ready to speak in front of everyone yet so he ran out the front door. I was a little shocked that the door was open because you have to buzz to get in (security - it's just a small place). I talked him back in and we stayed a little longer.

I spoke to the principal later in the week to see when he would be starting and she tells me they cannot accomodate him for the next term after all. What the hell? Last week she thought he would do fine there and was a great candidate.

She tells me the fact he ran out of the building was the main concern. They are on a main road after all... WTF? For one I can't believe the front door doesn't lock in the FIRST place. If they cater for children having trouble adjusting to school and many of them on the spectrum - aren't they used to them bolting every now and again?? It's a fucking Aspy/Autistic trait. When they overload they get away from the source.

In kindergartens and childcare centres all over the country they have the simple precaution of HIGH DOOR HANDLES. Yes this is a school but the kids attending this school don't have the emotional capacity to handle overload sometimes.

I cannot believe how angry I am. My son really needs this place. WTF am I going to do with him at home for an entire term?? The principal asks me to hold him over at the old school for another term. WTF? They have him in a holding pattern there (bless them) so it's basically costing me a fortune in part time babysitting.

I call several of the Autism Advisory services and they are a little shocked at where we are right now. He can't just enrol at another school for one term, to be moved to another then off to ANOTHER school in a year. In fact one person told me it would be criminal to do that to him. I agree. No one has any answers but alot of support and sympathy - but I could do with some so that's OK.

Holy fuck - he isn't a little criminal, he isn't taking knives to school or starting fires - he is just stressed and anxious, poor poor little fellow.


So I decide to homeschool. There isn't much choice and when I tell Principal of new school she is totally unimpressed and tells me it just won't do and he won't be ready to go back to a classroom after being in the comfort of his own home for so long.

Through gritted teeth I ask her what her answer to the situation is - she has nothing. This woman is really starting to give me the shits. I feel so berated after every phone call.

6 comments:

The Aldo's. said...

That bites big time lulu.
Sorry for you and sorry for your little man.
Can't they just start a new door locking policy at the new school?????
Big fat cyber hug to ya. xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh poo, what an unbelievable situation. Huge hugs for you all.

Lulu said...

I'm going to find out if the door locks are an OHS or actual requirement. Our Occupational Therapist thinks it's totally ridiculous.

E. said...

WT?

That is so bizarre. I wish there were some other options for you both.

They are on a main road, so is the door the only thing that stops people getting out there? No fence? Surely other kids are runners?

I'm so sorry that it has worked out like this.

dachlostar said...

That's absurd. Every child-care centre in Australia has one of those top-locking gates.
If it's an aspie/autism school it should have a time-out area to go to when they're overloaded anyways...

Anonymous said...

The school should be embarrassed! That's their problem and THEY need to rectify it.
BTW if you need ANY educational resources let me know.
mrsmac