BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 12, 2010

After the diagnosis ach - the paperwork!

So I got the Golden Ticket. Otherwise known as the Helping Children With Autism package.

Cyclone is now entitled to $12,000 in government funding because he is on the Spectrum and he is under 6.

Well, we got the diagnosis two weeks before he turned six and I nearly broke my neck to get the claim in on time. We nearly missed the cutoff and I surely do not know what would become of us if we did.

The $12,000 does not go to me, it comes in the form of the Golden Ticket (as I call it), a piece of paper that I hand over at Cyclones appointments instead of actual dollars. I only have $6000 to use because the funding stops when he turns seven, but the usual is 12k to spend over 2 years on Early Intervention services. This could be used for

Occupational Therapy
Psychologists
Social Skills

and a whole heap of other things, like computer programs (Boardmaker) and equipment that might make things easier for you and your little superkid. You are also eligible for alot of parenting support. So far it's been a breath of fresh air to speak to people that really know what they are on about

Once your Golden Ticket is approved, and Autism Advisor will call you and help you understand what it all means, and you can ring them for advice anytime.

You will get a list of therapists and services you may use. It will overwhelm you.

I got myself a portable file and a big diary. You will need it - trust me.




I quickly learnt to take notes of every conversation. I was losing track of the barrage of information on a daily basis. So many phone calls taken whilst hiding in various wardrobes/bathrooms/cupboards, so many bribes to keep the children from starting World War 5 at the same time. *sigh

There is also help for the over 7's - HERE is the link to the FAHCSIA site with all information on all packages.

I don't know how many calls I made over those 2-3 weeks, but I have to say again that every SINGLE person I spoke to were so helpful, cheery and so full of information it was just a pleasure to deal with them all.

0 comments: