BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

School decisions

So that bloody cow at the Spectrum School has given me grief about homeschooling AGAIN.

I called to let her know our progress and to see when she wanted to have the next trial. She seemed happy to hear we are accessing services and the other things I am doing. I am quite proud of our achievements in the schooling department.


I get my happy homeschool balloon popped when she starts going on about how he won't be ready, "this is not a good situation" blah blah blah. I AGAIN ask her what she thinks I should do about it and AGAIN she has nothing.


This time I get so narky I get the school brochure and read over HOW THEY CLAIM TO HELP CHILDREN that find it hard dealing with school and the classroom. All the skills they claim to teach, how they boost the kids up etc etc and think to myself - so you want me to bloody well "fix" him first before you take him on?? What's the fricken problem????

I'm telling you, apart from leaving the classroom and refusing to do work, he isn't that bad. He overloads is all. He needs more smiles and encouragement - then he flies.

ANYWAY - although it's hard yakka homeschooling my Cyclone, I am enjoying it. I would really like to continue but as a single super mumma I don't have the choice.

I AM wondering if I can keep going until the end of the year and work very hard on social skills and emotional stuff maybe I can ditch this Spectrum School and send him to the local at the start of next year.

This is where I call on you dear readers - if you have a child in the first year of school (prep in vic), could you please tell me a few of the things they are doing right now. (Apart from cutting and pasting cos I got a handle on that)

Are they writing yet? Can they write the full alphabet? Are they writing anything? How many words do they recognise.....or are they still forming the sounds etc.

What kind of maths/numbers skills do they have? How are they counting? In groups 2's, 5's etc? Have they started on times tables?

I really need your help and I'd appreciate it very very much.

Love xoxoxo

2 comments:

Lara said...

Hi Lu,
My gf's man teaches pre-prep near us, so I have passed your questions on to him. Hopefully I will be able to get back to you with some answers soon.

Jen said...

Hi Lulu. Here is a link to the VELS standards which will tell you exactly what is expected of Prep students in Victoria at the completion of the year. http://vels.vcaa.vic.edu.au/vels/

These sites might help you with the word lists that different schools use with the students. I am currently using the Oxford word lists at school but many school use M100W .

http://www.magicwords.com.au/
http://www.oup.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/121357/Oxford_Wordlist.pdf

It has been many years since I have taught prep but from what I remember they would know how to read and write the full alphabet and start writing basic sentences. They could read up to level 5 book and I think number is recognising number facts to 20 and numbers to 100. The VELS will give you all that information though :). You are doing a great job :) . Many days I wish I could homeschool my DS, not that he needs it but I see the benefit in one on one education and how great it is to be able to be flexible. THankfully I am able to do exactly this with my 9 students. It is wonderful and I am getting a level of learning out of them unlike anything I have had before, simply because we are not restricted to books and table work :)