BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 6, 2010

Frick

We have been at home for weeks.

I have just about every learning tool known to man. I have reams and reams of patience. I have a sense of humour to the sky and back, and I know how to make things fun. I know my boy to the sky and back but this is just too hard.

We can do no more than 20 minutes at a time. That's ok, but those 20 minutes are filled with stress. Even when we are having fun I cannot keep his attention. We have regular breaks. He has things to work towards and that does help a little. A LITTLE.

I do physical therapies with him, activities that use his body and muscles and break up the day with that - but nothing is really making a difference. I can see how the teachers at school were saying this was way out of their league/expertise.

We have 3-4 appointments a week. I have the program from the neurotherapy clinic.

The program consists of -

"First and Then" = 'first we do this (something he dislikes) THEN we do this', to help move him from one activity to the next.

Cool/Not Cool = we talk about feeling angry and what are the 'cool' and 'not cool' ways to express it. Anger is a normal feeling, not to be suppressed.

Emotions = we look at different pictures of faces and guess what those people are feeling. We also have alot of fun pulling faces at each other and doing different expressions.

Relaxation = we do various exercises to help him get through stressful times.

Why Because = talking about why we should and shouldn't do things

I mark this off in the folder, I take notes - all on top of everything else I have to do.

Which in fact means I have no time for anything else. The rest of my family, paid employment, having a haircut, having a solitary thought to myself, renovating my house which at this time sits empty with no tenants.


I don't think we are getting anywhere. There is more going on here and it's so far over my head I'm completely lost.

0 comments: