BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

So - where was I?

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to respond to some of the comments I've had over the past few weeks.

Thank you for your suggestions and encouragement, I really appreciate it and I'm willing to try anything. I did start this blog to keep track of everything, to be some sort of information for those who may start along this path too. To be honest, the last few months have sucked so badly and I think twice about posting.

Because I kinda don't want to scare people for want of a better word. I didn't start down this path as quickly as I should have because part of me stuck my head in the sand. Please remember - no two children are the same. EVER. Not even in spectrum world.

I look back and think about when Cyclone started school this year. He was so ready and looking forward to it. He cruised through transition and took to it like a fish to water. Then as the days went on and the stresses increased his teacher kept telling me he complained of being hungry, thirsty and tired.

Here I am packing his lunch box full to the brim, putting 2 drink bottles in his bag and sending him to bed at 6.30pm - all to no avail. *feeling like a NOT awesome parent by the way*.

I have since learned that this is how he distracts people. He isn't hungry or thirsty at all, but it certainly works to say that you are. Same with being tired. Little fella is smart enough to remember me saying "you must be tired" when he chucked a tanty and used it for his own means later on!

Anyhoo - handwriting etc. We do have a whiteboard, we also use chalk and greylead pencils and an eraser. It does decrease the anxiety somewhat. The best suggestion from our OT was to use shaving cream of all things! He really loves this.

I also finally found the correct "victorian cursive" lettering used in Primary Schools here. Lots of the books just have printing and I didn't want him to become familiar with one style only to have to re learn something he was happy with. Lucky me, he LOVES the scrips - calls it "fancy writing" and seems happier writing this way - Huh? Don't ask me...

2 comments:

Curvaceous Queen said...

All you can do on the wild ride is hang on and go with it. A temporary surrender can open all sorts of doors to be explored.

I think you are doing a magnificent job. Kudos to you both

ClaireyHewitt said...

Looking forward to reading along, there is a lot here for me to catch up on.